Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 3 to Montreal Through Lake Champlain!

Sunshine, sweet potato fries and inspiring lake scenery--what a day for riding 65 miles across Vermont!  I awoke in the Rose Room of the Emerson Guest House, very romantic, although completely wasted on my tired self.
The Rose Room in Emerson Guest House, Vergennes, VT
Bill, the owner of the Emerson made us delicious Vermont cheddar cheese and spinach omelettes with crusty multi-grain toast and fruit, so I was off to a great start.  The ride from Vergennes to Burlington took me through classic country roads, including the scenic Greenbush Road, where the quaint town of Charlotte, Vermont soared over Lake Champlain with magnificent views of NY's Adirondack Mountains across the lake and Vermont's Green Mountains on this side of the water.
Greenbush Road on way to Burlington
In Burlington, Vermont, I met up with Dion and explored the funky Church Street pedestrian mall, including eating lunch at an outdoor cafe, Sweetwaters, where we shared crispy sweet potato fries and a small flatbread pizza. I was almost too rested to continue my ride.
Dion wanted to check out a tent in an Outfitters Store in Burlington--as if! 
I pedaled on and I was so glad I did.  The sun shone enough to make up for its disappearing act during the last 2 days, and the scenery was breathtaking.  I rode through Lake Champlain's islands of South Hero and North Hero and I wanted to stop every ten feet for another photo op.  The fresh water lake glowed in the late afternoon sunshine.
South Hero, Vermont in middle of Lake Champlain
South Hero on other side of the road--I could see the lake from both sides.
The islands of South and North Hero were named after Ethan Allen and his brother Ira, two Revolutionary War heroes.  Ethan died in South Hero after he hung out all evening in his cousin Ebenezer's tavern tossing back a few drinks with friends and then while "driving his hay wagon" home across the frozen lake he had an accident and died--thus, the mantra against drinking and driving goes as far back as 1789. Anyway, the views just kept getting better as I crossed into North Hero, with its affluent homes, golf courses and to-die-for sweeping lawns ending lakeside with sleek boats on private docks and jetties.
North Hero
View of lake from Aqua Vista Cabins on North Hero
I pedaled on through all that beauty to the Ransom Bay Bed & Breakfast in Alburg, Vermont, just 5 miles from the border to Canada.  I am still in Vermont, but my dreams are of Montreal, Canada tomorrow on my last day in the saddle!

1 comment:

  1. Looks so fun and cool. The views are amazing! You are making it sound so easy too. Ride on my sista!

    ReplyDelete