Sunday, July 17, 2011

Susquehanna River--Native American Country!




The Native Americans have a famous saying:  you can't know a person until you walk two moons (2 months) in his moccasins.  Well, I'm not walking at all, I'm riding my bike, but it still holds true as I never thought deeply about the inspiring and tragic history of Native Americans in this country until I began riding my bicycle all over Upstate New York, which is Indian country, no doubt about that.  Almost every town, road, river, creek, and even the name of the county--Otsego County -- derive from an Iroquois word.  As I ride and meet people of Native American descent and stop in museums and read road signs and tributes, I have learned that this area is where the Iroquois Confederacy was created--5 warring Indian tribes (the Mohawks, the Senecas, the Cayugas, the Oneidas and the Onondaga, who shared a similar language and culture) decided to join together and establish a united nations promoting peace and productivity long before the white folks arrived in the early 17th century. In fact, when the first white "settlers" arrived in northeastern and central New York, the 5 tribes making up the Iroquois Confederate nations were enjoying a settled, agricultural life.  Of course, that didn't last long . . . check out Edmund Wilson's book,  Apologies to the Iroquois, for a full run down of how the great American idea of "liberty" forgot itself when it encountered the Indian. So, as I ride my bike through all of this beautiful Iroquois land, I imagine it in yesteryear.  It isn't hard to do with the dark green forests surrounding the roads, its sacred trees (the Iroquois planted Trees of Peace) towering high, and the muddy waters of the Susquehanna River flowing by.  I mull over the Iroquois creation myth of how pregnant Sky Woman fell (or was pushed) through the sky and landed on Turtle's back and created Turtle Island aka "Earth" giving birth to twins (good and evil) and later ascending to become the Moon.  I have not ridden two moons in anyone's moccasins as yet, but I'm getting there.  Interestingly, as I ride alone, I feel the spirits of the strong independent Iroquois women cheering me on.  Iroquois women enjoyed equality with their men.  Iroquois women chose their clans' leaders, and could own property before and after marriage and could keep the fruits of their labors.  American women, on the other hand, had to fight hard to be able to vote, and are still fighting for equality in the boardroom, the sports arena etc. etc.  Who is uncivilized?   Sky Women Rock!  On a last note, I am giving just a "sound bite" on Iroquois history here--in fact, it involved bloody battles, including the infamous Beaver Wars, as "bad mind" or the "evil brother" also reined along with "good brother."   However, as the Iroquois tribes also live near Montreal,  I can continue my ride northward through Iroquois lands,  and carry on with my soul's connection to these burdened but beautiful people. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment