Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 1 to Montreal in Rain Storm!

I did NOT train for this!  I did not think the worse would happen on my very first day! There I was flying through Schenectady to Saratoga Springs, moving swift and sure, my heart rate barely above a whisper after all the hard core training rides I did in Oneonta, NY, the city of hills.
Mohawk Scenic Bikeway in Schenectady, NY--there was nothing to see here!

"Ave of the Pines" as I enter Saratoga Springs, NY
But did I encounter any hills? Ha--nothing that ole Winnie the Pooh would complain about to Piglet. However, my worst nightmare came true.  Thunderheads rolled in, lightening streaked the sky, rumblings from heaven filled my ears and then wham, I was drenched with rivers of icy water pouring from the sky.  It went in ears, soaked my skin, blinded me and passing cars and trucks added insult to injury by splashing me with even more water.  I'm talking hurricane level rains, no kidding!
Dunkin Donuts parking lot in Saratoga Springs, NY
I sought shelter in a Dunkin Donuts where I drank cups of hot tea and changed into my one extra shirt.  I ate a bagel, and sent out text messages to Dion and my son Jared hoping that one of them would say I should use common sense and abandon my ride today, which would mean not riding the first leg of my journey.  Alas, Jared's kind words back to me were, "lmaoooo, that sucks, go finish your ride."  Dion texted me, "thinking of you in the rain, sweetheart" WHAT! Where was the voice of reason here?  I gave up my DD sanctuary and ventured out only to be soaked again in five seconds.  As I shivered through the near flooded streets of Saratoga Springs, I prayed to see a bike shop or someplace selling rain gear--sadly, I did not have any foul weather gear with me (some preparation!) And then, there before me, was the perfect store selling Columbia rain jackets and warm hiking/biking wick jerseys.  I quickly donned a lovely new shirt, and a perfect apple green rain jacket with a hood pulled up over my helmet. I rode the rest of the way to Whitehall, NY (about 45 more miles or 3 1/2 hours) in the pouring rain.  When I arrived, the rain stopped and the scene was lovely!
Whitehall, NY as I rode in.

I am so proud of myself! I am not a person who likes to be cold, hot, wet, or uncomfortable.  I have lived too long, worked too hard and know too much to be "put out."  Today's experience sure knocked me on my spoiled butt.  What a rude awakening and yeah, it made me pedal faster and stronger and I can't wait for tomorrow's ride.  I'm not even praying for sunshine this time.
Whitehall, NY -- On Lake Champlain, where the Navy started.

2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to not wanting to be uncomfortable. Thanks for sharing your experience. I could feel how good it felt to make it to your destination. Hope you have a great ride today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going Lynn :-) Fingers crossed the sun shines for you today

    ReplyDelete